General questions and further learnings regarding the technology used in Umbrel.
Issues concerning the primary operations of your Umbrel node can be found in the separate Troubleshooting guide.
- Can I get rich by routing Lightning payments?
- Can I attach the Ext4 formatted hard disk to my Windows computer?
- Can I use previously downloaded blockchain to save time when setting up my Umbrel node?
- What do all the Linux commands do?
- Where can I get more information?
- Does Umbrel support …?
Nobody knows. Probably not. You will get minimal fees. I don’t care. Enjoy the ride!
The Ext4 file system is not compatible with standard Windows, but with additional software like Linux File Systems by Paragon Software (they offer a 10 days free trial) it is possible.
This is not natively supported by Umbrel for different reasons but you can make it at your own risk following these instructions:
- Flash Umbrel OS to an SD card and boot it in a Pi with your SSD attached
- Run through the setup process
- Go to the settings page and shutdown Umbrel (Your SSD is now formatted correctly for Umbrel)
- Remove the SSD and attach it to a host Linux machine with access to the pre-downloaded blockchain
- Copy blocks and chainstate directories from your Bitcoin Core data directory to /umbrel/bitcoin/ on the SSD
- Remove the SSD from the host, plug it back into your Umbrel, and power it back on.
This is a (very) short list of common Linux commands for your reference. For a specific command, you can enter
man [command] to display the manual page (type
q to exit).
| ||change to directory|| |
| ||list directory content|| |
| ||copy|| |
| ||move|| |
| ||remove|| |
| ||make directory|| |
| ||make link|| |
| ||run command as superuser|| |
| ||switch to different user account|| |
| ||change file owner|| |
| ||change file permissions|| |
| ||text file editor|| |
| ||archive tool|| |
| ||exit current user session|| |
| ||control systemd service|| |
| ||query systemd journal|| |
| ||monitor processes & resource usage|| |
| ||shutdown or restart Pi|| |
If you want to learn more about Bitcoin and are curious about the inner workings of the Lightning Network, the following articles in Bitcoin Magazine offer a very good introduction:
- What is Bitcoin?
- Understanding the Lightning Network
- Bitcoin resources and Lightning Network resources by Jameson Lopp
Currently not, but Umbrel has an application infrastructure, so third-party developers can add apps to Umbrel and publish them in its App Store.
This General FAQ guide will be constantly updated with findings that have been or will be reported in the issues section. Feel free to contribute via a merge request.